FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 15, 2020
Registration is open for the 2021 Great Bear Chase!
The Great Bear Chase is planning to hold an in-person/on-snow race March 13, 2021 on the beautiful Swedetown Trails in Calumet, Michigan! Things are going to look different, much like everything else this past year, but one thing that will not change is the top-quality grooming and friendly nature of the Great Bear Chase.
The 2021 Great Bear Chase will continue to feature seven races: the popular 50km Skiathlon, and freestyle and classic events with distances of 50km, 25km and 10km.
Summary of Changes
Snow has just started coming down and we couldn’t be happier. While we watch the snow continue to fall on our epic Swedetown Trails, our Great Bear Chase planning committee has been busy working out race details.
Some changes for this year’s race include:
- Most entry fees have been reduced by $5 for 2021.
- Skiers will choose a 10-minute window for starting, with no more than 50 skiers starting in any one 10-minute block. Skiers can start any time during the 10-minute block.
- Should the Great Bear Chase be cancelled due to COVID-19, skiers can choose to apply their registration fee to the 2022 race.
- We will not have a pasty lunch in the school gym this year, but are working out details to still have pasties for all skiers.
- The number of racers is capped at 550. This could change based on state of Michigan requirements and/or organizer discretion.
- 2021 registration will close March 8 at 11:59 p.m. or sooner if the 550 racer capacity is reached.
- Age group ranges for awards have changed this year, see the Race Guide
Early bird pricing ends December 31 at midnight. Visit our Registration page to register or for more details.
We know this year will be different, but for those ready to come out and enjoy a safe, fun event, we will be here for you. Look for the 41st annual Great Bear Chase to take place on Saturday, March 13th, 2021!