FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 12, 2021
Michigan State High School Championships
Good afternoon Coaches,
After reviewing the State Championship race format during a recent planning meeting, we would like to change the race format to an individual (interval) start for the second day of the pursuit. This change is to comply with social distancing requirements for our athletes and to avoid the mass start that typically occurs with the lower seeded athletes. We will add the times from both events to determine the pursuit champion, it just might not be the order in which the athletes cross the line on the second day.
If anyone has any comments, objections, or is in favor of this change please respond to all so that we can get some discussion going if necessary.
Other changes: We will likely hold the middle school race in the morning instead of the afternoon and we are planning on having an adaptive race as well after the middle school race.
The race format would look like this ...
- February 12
- Friday afternoon - Skate leg of the pursuit (5km) (individual start)
- February 13
- Saturday morning - Classic leg of the pursuit (5km) (individual start, pursuit order)
- Saturday morning - Middle school race? (classic) (~3km)
- Saturday morning- Adaptive Race (2 km)
- Saturday afternoon - Classic sprints (~1km) (qualifier only, no heats)
- Saturday afternoon - Awards, likely on site
The second topic is a reminder to coaches to gather up the traveling trophies for the sprint, pursuit, and overall team. Please have the athlete's name engraved on the trophies before the State Meet.