Trail Detail

Grand Rapids, MN
10.0k
Classic Only
No
No
218-832-3161
[ NWS ]
New Reports Report Requests

Notes

Located in the Chippewa National Forest, semi-primitive. Contains Joyce Estate, a historic northwoods retreat with log and stone buildings of Adirondack architecture. Rated beginner/intermediate.
Proximity
Search
Ski Trails Rollerski Trails Stores Lodging
Within    

Trail Reports

Reports 1 to 10 of 16    Month: Jan | Dec
Sunday, January 19, 2020
Afternoon
Firsthand: Classic 
[ Good skis ]
Very good ski especially considering how much snow needed to be packed and tracked. Good track to the north end and also on the Doan trail.
(Pete Friedlieb)
Friday, January 17, 2020
Afternoon
Firsthand: Classic 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
Had a great ski on the Doan Lake trails, thanks Carl! Joyce estate trail is skied in but no recent grooming.
Photos:
(Pete Friedlieb)
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Afternoon
Grooming 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
Groomed and tracked Doan Lake Trail. Excellent conditions. 3 inches light fluffy snow. Beautiful in the woods.
(Carl Nordgren)
Saturday, January 11, 2020
Afternoon
Firsthand: Classic 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
Silence. The sounds of the north woods in winter. A total removal from all things civilized...except a simple parallel track set thru the deep snow in the deep woods. Sun, Snow, Silence. Privileged just to be there.
Photos:
(Carl Nordgren)
Thursday, January 9, 2020
Evening
Grooming 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
2 inches new snow. Groomed and tracked Trout Trail to North Trailhead. Pristine conditions except for about 10 yards just before the creek (East side), where groomer got stuck last week -- Still a little bit of gravel mixed in the snow there. Groomed and tracked Doan Lake Trail. Pristine.
(Carl Nordgren)
Monday, January 6, 2020
Morning
Firsthand: Classic 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
Trails holding up very well. There’s been no real need to groom in the last week but we’ve had an inch or two of snow which is skied in. Strong winds recently blew leaves and twigs into the tracks at some portions. Waxless skis are helpful for that, the track is pretty fast so a V40 type wax is good. Saw signs of wolves marking territory-see pic.
Photos:
(Pete Friedlieb)
Tuesday, December 31, 2019
Morning
Grooming 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
12 inches snow and rain free here. JC started packing trails Sunday night and groomed and tracked Trout Lake trails Monday afternoon. About 3/4” light fluffy snow in the tracks overnight. Doan Lake trails were packed and groomed this morning. South Trout parking lot was about 20% plowed when I finished at noon. Room for 2 maybe 3 cars. Doan Lake road parking fully open (5 or 6 cars). Feeder trail from Doan parking to Doan Lake loop is groomed and tracked.
(Carl Nordgren)
Friday, December 27, 2019
Morning
Firsthand: Classic 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
Track is in good shape. There is some fresh snow on the track that was set 3 days ago. Fairly fast but definitely controllable. Waxless twin skins worked well for me, even then a little slipping because of the icy base and soft snow on top.
(Pete Friedlieb)
Friday, December 27, 2019
Morning
Firsthand: Classic 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
Beautiful morning to ski. Two inches of heavy wet snow Christmas night. Today 20F and sunshine. Classic ski on Doan Lake trail this morning. Several skiers had packed the tracks after the Christmas snow and the skiing was much better than I anticipated. Good kick on blue hard wax.
(Carl Nordgren)
Wednesday, December 25, 2019
Morning
Firsthand: Classic 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
Christmas morning classic on Doan Lake Trail with wife. Super fast snow and 95% perfect tracks. The other 5% still nice...tho less than perfect. You have to love single track trails thru the deep woods!
Photos:
(Carl Nordgren)

Next Last